The world’s greatest dog food began with a puppy named Augustine…
Augustine’s SuperFood - Vegan Puppy
- Green Lentils - 80g raw (200g boiled)
- Whole Broccoli - 35g
- Whole Carrot - 30g
- Whole Zucchini - 10g
- Whole Beetroot - 15g
- Sweet Potato – 30g
- Extra Virgin Cold‐Pressed Coconut Oil - 25g
- Augustine's SuperBoost - Vegan (orange label) - 55g
- *Makes 400g of ready-to-eat food.
1. Look at the Feeding Guide page and decide how much food you would like to make. We recommend making at least 7 days worth.
2. Peel sweet potato before weighing and steam. If you cannot steam then boiling is the next best thing.
3. Cooked lentils weigh approx. 2.5 times their raw weight. For example if you would like 160g of cooked lentils use 64g raw. Soak the green lentils in warm water for at least 1 hour. Drain water and rinse in strainer till water runs clear. Add new water and boil till cooked. Empty into strainer, rinse till clear and cool. Shake well to remove any remaining water.
4. Coconut oil hardens or liquefies depending on room temperature. If it is in a solid state place the bottle into a sink with hot water until it liquefies. This causes no harm to the nutrients and you can do this as many times as necessary. There are many varieties of coconut oil but please only use raw coconut oil (virgin cold-pressed).
5. Bacteria is mainly found in dirt and affects the shelf life of food so it is important to cut the ends off vegetables and peel the beetroot. Vegetables should be weighed after they are peeled or have their ends cut. Wash thoroughly in cold water.
6. Blanch the vegetables. Blanching is simply the process of dipping vegetables into boiling water (30 seconds will do) to kill remaining bacteria. This process will give the food up to 12 months of frozen life and up to 5 weeks of refrigerated life.
7. Dogs cannot digest whole vegetables too well. Blend the vegetables and lentils to a puree for maximum nutrient absorption. If you cannot puree, they must be as finely blended as possible. A Vitamix is ideal and cold-pressed juicers are fantastic too (just add the pulp back into the juice).
8. Put the mix into a large tub and allow a few minutes to cool if necessary.
9. Mix in the liquefied coconut oil thoroughly (use food handling gloves). Do this quickly as it may begin to harden.
10. Shake Augustine’s SuperBoost - Vegan well and mix it in, blending thoroughly. Using your hands is most effective.
11. Augustine’s SuperFood - Vegan Puppy has now been prepared.
12. Package into bags according to your desired serving size (sealable plastic lunch bags are great) and freeze.